Talton Hallís Connection to the Wilson Triplett family


The Triplett family made their home in Floyd County, Kentucky and several chose Right Beaver to raise their children. The Wilson Triplett Family in particular, lived on Right Beaver as did several Hall families, which made for relationships between the two families to bloom and disputes to ignite. Wilson had married 15 May 1846 in Letcher County to Eleanor Isaacs, who was born about 1825 in Floyd County.   Eleanor was the daughter of William B. and Sarah Johnson Isaacs.

The Right Fork of Beaver Creek starts in present day Letcher County near Kite and flows north through Top Most and Raven before crossing into Floyd County and continuing through Wayland, Lackey and Garret then joins the Left Fork near Martin.

Wilson was a son of Daniel Triplett who was born 1795 in Wilkes County, North Carolina and his wife Sarah Ferguson Triplett who was a daughter of Thomas and Edith Foster Ferguson.  Daniel and Sarah are buried in the Triplett-Conley Cemetery in Knott County, Kentucky. Daniel and Sarah were the parents of:


1.   Lee Triplett who married Rachel Thornsberry

2.   Sarah who married James Thomas

3.   Nancy Triplett

4.   Jane Triplett

5.   Wilson Triplett  who married Eleanor Isaac

6.   Bryant Triplett  who married Glatha Morris

7.   John C. Triplett  who married 1. Zelphia (--?--), m./2. Mary (--?--)

8.   Jesse Triplett  married Rebecca Hall

9.   Frances 'Frankie' Triplett  married Isham Adkins Slone

10.  Susannah Triplett  married George Moore

11.  Nimrod Triplett married Sarah Martin



Wilson Triplettís twin daughters Miranda and Marilda married into the Hall family. Miranda married Old Dave Hallís son Talton Thomas born Oct 1849. Marilda married Andrew Jackson born 1848, the son of Clinton & Nancy Triplett Hall.  After the war Talton worked in the timber business with his father-in-law Wilson  or "Will" Triplett and brothers-in-law Henderson, Aycherson, Henry, and Billy Triplett.  

The 1870 Census of Floyd County, Kentucky shows Wilson & Henderson as resident of Precinct 4.


15 .     Triplett, Wilson               45   North Carolina
             Lulanza                11
             William                 14
             Henry                  15
             Atchison               19
 16 .    Triplett, Henderson             20
             Margaret                18
             Roseanna               1/12


After all this time it is not remembered what originally sparked the differences between Talton Hall and the Triplett's, though it developed early on. Most likely the incidents that caused the discontent occurred during the War. Talton did confess to the killing of his brother in law Henry Triplett, saying it was over what he termed a political quarrel. Another story is that Henderson Triplett cut the ears off a horse belonging to Talt Hall, or that Talt cut a horse belong to "Will". Later an acquaintance of Talt tried to intervene in the dispute and was killed. Rumors circulated that Henderson was guilty but he was never charged.

Most bitterness occurred when Talt's wife, Marinda Triplett, disappeared. Talton had decided to move his family to Memphis, Tennessee, but evidently Miranda was reluctant to leave her family on Hollybush. The move to Tennessee was very brief and when Talt returned to Kentucky he explained that Miranda became ill and died along the way. He said she was buried in Tennessee. The Triplett's accused Talt of her murder and were set on revenge. A meticulous search of Tennessee records has at long last been fruitful and a record of Mirandaís death was found registered in Memphis, Tennessee. Her death record shows no foul play on Taltonís part in the death of his wife. Marinda died in the City Hospital at Memphis, Tennessee on June 7, 1888 of bronchitis. The record stated that the time of her residence in Memphis was one year.

Whatever the reason and though many tales and stories have been told, it is the source basis that eventually caused the Triplett's to move to Lincoln County, West Virginia which brought the Triplett family to settle there.

William Billy Triplett had a reputation as being one of the best younger brawlers in that section of Floyd County. He could handle anyone in a fist fight. The local champ was always crowned on the election grounds and the spring election of 1880 brought Talt and Billy face to face. Both were drinking and Talt was attempting to tell Billy how to vote when Billy kicked him in the stomach and a scuffle developed. Talt drew his gun and shot him. 

"I've always been that coward, Talt Hall", he said. "After this, I'm going to be called Bad Talt Hall." He walked away from the astonished crowd, climbed a rail fence with the smoking gun in his hand, turned and crowed like a rooster. He was sure he had killed his brother-in-law Billy Triplett but he hadn't. 

It was said Talton hired a man from Virginia to kill Billy Triplett. The ambush occurred near Billy's cabin and during the exchange of bullets; his wife Dinah (Dinah Edy or Edith Slone) could recognize the sound of Billy's gun. The hired gun was killed and Talton retaliated by attacking Billy's cabin at night. During the attack, Dinah tossed a churn of milk into the fireplace to create a smoke screen and keep the family from being seen. Jefferson Triplett, the nine-year-old son of Aycherson Triplett, was living with Billy and Dinah. He was wounded in the left hand as he hid under the table. 

Rumors circulated that Billy had died from his wounds but actually he recovered and moved to West Virginia.  Talt and his wife continued to live on Beaver Creek for some time.

Aycherson Triplett had an opportunity to capture or kill the Kentucky Talton in 1882 but failed. One night Aycherson with some of his friends happened on Talt and a number of his friends. Aycherson could hear their voices and recognized Talton as being among the men but it was late in the evening and too dark to discern which man was Talton. Aycherson moved closer until he was within a few feet of the group, then without a sound he fired several shots into the darkness in the general direction of Talt's now silent voice. Strangely, the shots missed their intended target but were successful in scattering Talt and the others quickly into the darkness of the surrounding laurel.

Talt Hall killed Henry Triplett the following summer. Henderson, Aycherson, Henry, George Isaacs and three others had formed a posse to arrest Hall. Talt and another companion were hiding in a cornfield and were separated when pursued by the posse. All the pursuers except Henry Triplett had a revolver and Hall a Winchester rifle. Triplett could not get his weapon out in time, and he sprang upon Hall and there was a terrible struggle for half an hour. The corn was torn down in a square of a dozen feet. Hall wrenched loose at last and shot his antagonist, then he lay down by the side of the dying man, hoping that his groans would bring the others of the posse to him and give him a chance to kill some of them, but none of them came. The brothers could hear Henry's cries for water and as darkness approached, George Isaacs was able to crawl to him, carrying water in his hat. Hall fled into the night while the brothers attended to the dying Henry.  

The Triplettís went about burying Henry, but did not let up in their search for Talt.  They came so close to capturing him that he actually hid in the freshly dug grave of Henry Triplett. Aycherson and Henderson were able to indict Hall for Henry's murder but he continued to go free when no officer of the law would attempt to arrest him. Fearing that Hall and the gang of Devil John Wright would harm their families, they decided to join their brother Billy in West Virginia. Sister Marilda and brother-in-law Jackson Hall would also join them.

Aycherson and Henderson left behind an aging father, a dead mother, brother, and sister, hoping West Virginia would be a much better place to raise their families. The news of the Talt Hall hanging finally came to West Virginia and some of the others, including Jackson and Marilda, returned to Kentucky. However, Aycherson was quoted as saying he had no desire to return to a land where you had to work with an axe in one hand and a rifle in the other

Clabe Jones decided to go west for a while, traveling to Wichita, Kansas when the trouble with Henry Triplet began, probably to avoid taking part in the trial. He had been called to testify and probably didn't want anger the Talt Hall gang. When it cooled down he came back to Kentucky. 


The material on this web page is copyrighted (C) 2010 Nancy Wright Bays &  Patty May Brashear

                       Back To    Main Page

                        Wright Roots-Bates Branches